Saturday, December 21, 2013

Bleaching and dying bottle brush trees

Hi everyone!  Well, I've been promising I would give you a quick how to on bleaching on dying bottle brush trees, and with Christmas inching ever closer I thought I better get on it!   It's super easy.  There are many tutorials on you tube also, but it's pretty basic.

You can get the trees in varied sizes in bags at Michael's or Hobby Lobby , and I'm sure many other craft stores. ( near where the miniatures are)

You'll want a container that is tall and narrow so that the trees can be totally submerged and covered in the water/Clorox mixture.

The mixture should be about 1/2 water, 1/2 Clorox . ( and you can use this same one time mixture for all your trees in your bag)  Put the tree in, and watch the process start.  How long does it take?   Well, depending on the size of the tree approx. 10-15min or so.  Just watch, you'll be able to tell when it's ready to come out.
You'll want to use a tongs to remove it. 

Rinse the tree  under running warm water after removing it from Clorox mixture.  You will notice that most of the "snow" will come off.  I just washed it off, because I felt like the Clorox made it feel sticky anyway.  If you decide you want the "snowy" look, I'll show you how, further down in this post :)

After you have rinsed it well, dry it with a paper towel and fluff is up a bit.

Set it aside for bit to dry.


Once it's dried for a bit, if you want  to add color, you can do this using a number of different methods, but I used Chalkboard Sprays from Tattered Angels, and they worked great.  I wrapped foil around the  snow base of the trees while I was spraying to keep them covered.


Of course you can made them as light or as bright as you like, by how much spray you decide to add.  OR  you might like the natural look  with no spray, like I did a couple of these.  ( you might want to trim off any odd pieces sticking out from your trees)


I liked the look of snow, so I just took some white paint and did a sort of dry brush technique over them.   Just all a small amount of paint to the ends of a fairly stiff bristled brush and run in down the tree, all the way around.  While the paint is wet, you can even add glitter if you like.



So.... the next colors are pretty BRITE!  But as some of you know, I'm preparing for a Christmastime Shower for my niece, and these are her colors.   So, this I set this up as a trial run.  It will be the  arrangement on the coffee table :)    Not on a piece of foam core of course. lol


I think I like it.

If you wanted to be "wowed" with some beauty, just Google "dyed bottle brush trees".  OH MY!!!


Hope you give it a try!

Vicki

9 comments:

Cindy Tobey said...

Awesome tutorial Vicki! Thanks for sharing. :)

Susie Wittwer said...

Great tutorial Vicki! I didn't even know that Michael's or HL carried these trees. Where have I been???

Love the mirrors and fences you've added to your scene. So cute!

Bev Gerard * TexasGrammy said...

You always bring a completely huge smile to my face with your delightful craftiness, m'friend! These fabby bleached trees are much fun!!!

Merry Christmas, Vicki!
{{{hugs}}},
Bev

Scrap for Joy said...

I love your colorful forest, Vic. I've bleached trees but haven't tried dying them...I'll have to give that a try, and I really like the look of the snow. Lots of fun ideas here!
Have a very Merry Christmas with your family!
xoxo
Joyce

Kathy/NorthCarolina said...

Love the "frozen ponds" in your tableau, Vic...you sure know how to throw a party!

harrahx2 said...

Excellent info Vicki and great color scheme~ Love it.

Sheila Rumney said...

Great tutorial on bottle brushes... love the color. Wishing you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Pearl Maple said...

nice! love the color effects you were able to achieve

Anonymous said...

Can't get mine to dye and I have tried two kinds with more and more bleaching and still no success. Any clues?