Monday, December 30, 2013

Bridal Shower Time

 
Hello friends! I hope all of you had a wonderful Christmas. We certainly did. I've been away from my blog a bit lately enjoying being with family during the holidays and during my nieces show on Saturday. Whether you have a shower, a party or any  kind of get together coming up, I thought I'd share some ideas with you. You know I  love crafting .. and the other things I love is making something old, new again and a great deal! So in this post I'll share some of those things also:)
 
 

First of all this is my Niece Neely.  The bride to be.   The wedding isn't until May but with her living in LA, we decided having it how while she was back for Christmas would be the best plan.  I love her with all my heart.   My sis has always shared her with me and let her be the girl I never had.  She is pretty darn special to me.

 
I might as well start at the beginning .... here are the invites I made for the shower.
 
 
I had the sign below hanging on the door when you entered.  The frame and also the frame below for the other sign are from the Crafty Secrets "Creating with Vintage Patterns CD"
 
 
Here are the two pretties who helped me with the shower.  My beautiful daughter in law Kate ( on the left) and Neelys brother Ryans  sweet girl... Erin. ( on the right)
I wish I had them for helpers all the time!! Wow I loved that :)
 

 
We had Neelys shower at the same clubhouse my sister Jan had hosted Kates Shower.  It's very nice and works out so well.
 

Neelys colors made it so fun to decorate.  Totally fun and whimsy!   

 I used lots of apothecary jars and filled them with candy's in pinks, oranges and aquas.
You would be surprised how many different candies the Dollar stores have!  For the large jars I got colored popcorn.  I ordered it from "Moms Popcorn" in Fremont. It was delicious and matched the colors perfectly. If you live near I totally recommend this place!!  Normally they mix it half sweet ( the colored) and half salty, so I set a large bowl of the mixed out for people to eat, but in the large apothecary jars on the mantel I left them all colored.  That way the color would stand out more.

 
On all the end tables, the jars of candies sat with little containers and little tongs and scoops for people to help themselves.  I also had little bags out with these signs. Hoping people would take some candies home with them so I wouldn't have to toss them all.  Guess what?  got rid of them all! It was so fun!
I wanted to tell you a little more about the jars.  Glassware like this is pretty inexpensive at flea markets and sales.  I use these containers for things in my studio, so I've been collecting them for some time, but they are defiantly not hard to find.
 
 
I have some really nice glassware but I really didn't want to take the chance that it might get broke with all that I was packing along.  ( OH.. you should have seen my little car... PACKED) lol      Anyway I wanted to show you a easy inexpensive way to make your own.   I needed some pieces that had large openings so that it was easy for people to get candies out with a scoop.   I went to the Dollar tree and bought separate glass pieces and used E600 glue to put them together, like the ones below.
The bottoms were $1 candle sticks and the tops just glass contains.  So many different things you can do this way.
 
Lets just say, plenty of people enjoyed taking goodies home with them in bags. ( and they all weren't kids) lol

Sometimes you just have to go with the flow and work around things..... and make the best of it.    Of  course .. it was Christmastime, so there were still decorations up.  Went we went to look at the place I saw that where were navey blue balls on this tree and that just wasn't going to do :(      When we got there, we did a little revamp, by using bows I had cut with my AccuCut BOW DIE
Oh.. and a A and an N for Neely and Alan, from Hobby Lobby, covered in pretty scrapbook paper.



We had all kinds of food , a lot of fruits and veggies and many of Neelys friends are vegetarian.


 
I wanted to share a new recipe that I had tried for the first time .. it was a hit. 
Very yummy.
 
 
 
 
Apricot Cream Cheese Canapés
 



 
Lemon Pepper Cream Cheese

This is an easy spread to make. It goes well with any kind of fruit, especially dried fruits.

Ingredients

· 1 cup cream cheese, softened

             · 1/4 tsp. salt

· zest of 1 lemon (about 1 Tbsp)

· 1/2 tsp. coarsely ground black pepper

· 1 tsp. lemon juice

Instructions

1.      Combine all ingredients in a small bowl

Apricots with Rosemary and Maple

 This topping made of dried apricots has such a delicious and intriguing flavor. The sweet apricots with sweet maple turn a bit savory with fresh rosemary and walnuts. It really is a lovely flavor combination.

Ingredients

· 1 cup dried apricots (about 26-30) chopped finely

· 1 Tbsp. chopped fresh rosemary

· 1 Tbsp. maple syrup

· 2 Tbsp. chopped walnuts

Instructions

2.      Combine all ingredients in a small bowl.

 

small bowl

ompare prices and stores for small bowl
click here
shopsearchers.com



black pepper

ompare prices and stores for black pepper
click here
shopsearchers.com



Ever need Aqua punch?

Tidal Wave Lemonade

Blue Punch Recipe 1 pkg. blue raspberry kool-aid 1 can minute maid frozen lemonade 2 liter bottle of sprite water  ( I couldn't find the blue kool-aid so I used Blue typhoon Hawaiian punch)   Floated sliced oranges on top

 Cherry Limeade Punch
  • 1 can frozen limeade concentrate
  • 1 2-liter bottle of Sprite (or 7-Up)
  • 1 jar maraschino cherries
  • 2 limes

Directions:
Place frozen Limeade in punchbowl.  Stir in bottle of Sprite and juice from cherries.  Add the desired amount of ice.  Float cherries and sliced limes on top.

__________________________________

On to the bottled water.  Labels off.... strips of pretty scrapbook paper added, with white stickers and matching markers for writing there names on them.


I made the little cupcake  banner with scrapbook paper also. Little flags on toothpicks for each cupcake and a special one for the bride to be.  Oh.... I used up the patterned paper scraps by punching out circles of confetti's to lay on the table.

**Oh... also the square 11.5 x 11.5  scalloped pieces the cupcakes are sitting on are also cut from scrapbook paper. They are AccuCut die  SQ704


Remember the trees I was bleaching and dying HERE?    Well, here is how they were displayed.  The varied shaped round mirrors I plucked off my wall as I went out the door.   ( made really good "lakes")    Get creative ... make do with what you have!


I made Neely and Alan and set of dated forks to be used to eat cake at their wedding, like the ones I did for Jarad and Kate.  Instead of putting them in a shadowbox I used this frame with pretty scrapbook paper for a background... ( no glass).   the forks are just wired in so that she can take them out to use them for the wedding and then put them back in as a keepsake afterwards.  The background paper can easily be changed any time she wants to fit her décor.


I used a number of the little bits of ephemera and frames on the Crafty Secrets CDs for things at the shower.   Here I made a little "Reserved for the Bride to be" sign for the chair.
The pillows I made from Muslin draw string bags from State Line Bag Co .   So easy!   Just stamped them with foam stamps and acrylic paint, stuffed them, stitched them up and added trims.


I was a great day, with weather was so nice ( especially for Dec in NE) and we had a fantastic turn out.


The chalkboard you see on the mantle in the orange frame was found at a thrift store some time ago. It usually hangs in my studio. The frame is actually plastic and the back is a mirror. I just painted the frame with spray paint and flipped the mirror to the back. Painting the back for the mirror with chalkboard spray.

The garland of circles is just punched circles or scrapbook paper glued together with string in the middle.

The banner is cut from scrapbook paper, using AccuCut die Pennant Flags PI317




Neely is such a sweet and genuine person. She was so happy to be surrounded by friends and family. So many people she doesn't get to see that much now that she lives in LA .  I don't know how I didn't get a photo of my sis and Neely together. That makes me kind of sad, but I know there were tons of other photos take by others.  Between my camera and my phone, I actually surprised I snapped as many as I did. When your hosting something, it's hard to remember to stop and take time to do that.
But it really was just a happy day all around! Neely said she was smiling so much her face hurt. That makes me happy! 
 
 
She's pretty special! 
 
 
Next up.... wedding. lol
 
We have a few months.
 
Thank you sis for sharing this sweet girl with me.
 
 
Vic
 
 

14 comments:

Bettyann said...

what a lucky girl to have such a creative and talented Auntie...the party look like so much fun <3

Crafty Secrets Heartwarming Vintage Co. said...

WOW Vicki - everything looks so perfect for Neely's Shower, from the fun decor to all the yummy food, you did an amazing job Aunt Vicki!

It all looks totally wonderful!
Thanks for letting us have a peek

Sandy

Jill Norwood said...

What a beautiful shower! So happy for her and you! My sisters kids are shared with me like that! I was only able to have Tim and her 3 kids are so special to me! Thanks for sharing this. I have a sister getting married in late March and we are getting ready to do her shower! Thanks for the wonderful inspiration!

Kathy/NorthCarolina said...

Vic, there are professional party planners out there that couldn't have made this room any more beautiful! Love that you altered the tree...so cute! Your creativity knows no bounds! xoxo

Julie Higgins said...

Loved seeing all these pictures on your blog! I'll be sending lots of people the link so they can check out how awesome it all was! You are sooooooo talented!! What a great 'gift' for dear, sweet Neely:) Love you all:) Julie Higgins

Julie Higgins said...

Loved seeing all these pictures on your blog! I'll be sending lots of people the link so they can check out how awesome it all was! You are sooooooo talented!! What a great 'gift' for dear, sweet Neely:) Love you all:) Julie Higgins

Jean said...

I love all the details you put into this shower! My daughter is getting married in September so will have to remember to come back and check this as it gets shower time!

Debby said...

what a fun shower. So many beautiful decorations. I like those colors together. Yeah, wedding coming up.

harrahx2 said...

She is one lucky girl to have you Vicki.....no detail too small! Wonderful job and Happy New Year My Sweet Friend!

Gail S. said...

Wow!! What a beautiful shower, Vicki! I LoVe all of the ideas you shared. The framed forks are such a great idea. Happy New Year to you!

Nicole said...

What an amazing party! I love all the little touches you added and those bottle brush trees turned out so cute.

Scrap for Joy said...

What a lovely and fun shower you created for Neely! Add Party Planner to your resume! I love the fork idea! You are so clever!
Happy New Year Vic! Can't wait to see your new projects this year.
xoxo
Joyce

Ali said...

What an awesome Auntie u r, Vicki! Beautiful shower, with soooo many lovely little touches! TY for sharing all your special ideas and fun with us. :) xox

stevenjared0853 said...

Lovely bridal shower! It just reminded of a graceful bridal shower I had attended at one of well-liked wedding venues Chicago. Everything there was organized by expert event planners. They really did great job by making it a grand celebration.