Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Crafty Secrets 80th Birthday Card and a little Christmas Cheer

Taking a break from sharing a Christmas project to share a Birthday Card I made for a special lady who it turning 80 ON Christmas.   Marilyn is my friend Julies Mother in law. She is an amazingly strong lady who as been thru a lot the last couple of years. Major recovery from a serious car accident and recently a stroke.  She is tuff, and determined.. strong as they come!  Happy Birthday Marilyn!


I told you a little bit in my last post about Julie, my sister Jan and I, planning a afternoon at the care facility where my friend Sally is, to do a Craft, visit and bring Christmas Cookies and milk.  I thought I share a few photos.  We had such a great time. We probably enjoyed it as much or more than they did :)  We even sang Christmas Carols. That seemed to make everyone smile.   This is a Alzheimer's/Dementia Unit, and it's so amazing because for so many, even if the words to the songs just aren't there for them anymore, it seems the "tune" is.   Great to see them smile and hum, if not sing.
Below is my sis, helping with the Christmas Craft Project.


I think we all enjoyed the visiting part :)

 Like I said, the singing seemed to be the universal thing that everyone liked.  Once the singing started this lady didn't care about doing the craft at all, she just wanted to keep singing.   Julie picked up on this right away, and she had a new best friend.  Julie seemed to know just the songs she would know and love.  Old hymns ect.. and she was right!   Here they are singing Amazing Grace.   If I wasn't in the Christmas Spirit before.. this certainly did it.  


And here is a photo of my friend Sally and I.   If you haven't read about Sally here before.  She is a dear friend of mine who is in a care facility suffering from early onset Alzheimer's/Dementia.  Sal and I have been friends for over Thirty years. When our boys were babies and growing up we basically raised them together. We did everything together.  I love her, and miss those times. Even tho a lot of those memories are lost for her now, I visit her every week, and she always recognizes me.  We still have laughs, and share a very special friendship.  
She doesn't know it, but she has had a big  impact on how I live my life these days. Why I try to worry less, why I spend less time at my desk, why I don't care of my house is spotless. Why I try to slow down and enjoy things more.  None of us are guaranteed anything...
....... I try to enjoy things for the both of us now.


Julie, Jan and I  had a great time, so much so, we've decided we are going to do this on a regular basis:)


Thanks for letting me share.

Vic

11 comments:

harrahx2 said...

Such a rough disease and so very scary Vicki. I love that you love your friend so much. That is very special~ And the card is amazing.

...a/k/a DJScrappiness... said...

Thank you for being such a faithful friend to Sally, and for reaching out to these wonderful people. It's amazing how we can go someplace thinking we're going to minister to someone/others, only to become the ones being blessed! Like you said, if that doesn't get you in the Christmas Spirit, I don't know what would! :)

Jean said...

What a beautiful card. You are a special friend!

Vicki said...

What a beautiful and special birthday card! Love the soft, feminine, vintage design. I'm sure your friend's MIL will love it.

Julie Higgins said...

The card is gorgeous!!! Thanks Vic! Julie

janel said...

Reading your post brought tears to my eyes. Thank you for sharing your love and your friendship. The joy you bring to others is such a gift. Merry Christmas Vic.

juliek said...

how very special you are to Sally. Know deep down they appreciate your time and love.

juliek said...

how very special you are to Sally. Know deep down they appreciate your time and love.

juliek said...

how very special you are to Sally. Know deep down they appreciate your time and love.

Kathy/NorthCarolina said...

Beautiful card...beautiful thoughts...beautiful, beautiful you! Love you, girl! xoxo

Crafty Secrets Heartwarming Vintage Co. said...

I think she will adore this pretty birthday card you made her Vicki. The papers you used from the CD look so pretty with our garden image.

You already know that Chelsea is the program director for a day program club for people with early on-set dementia, but I wanted to let you know she swears that singing is one of the best activities because they do remember music more than many other things. She's had me order several karaoke CDs of popular music from the 70's and 80's and says it one of the most popular activities they do besides going for walks and ice cream. I can't be there to help out with visits but I would like to send some music and will email you about it and ask Chelsea what the most popular songs are? You are such a sweetie for going regularly and even though Sally can't express it fully I know you mean the world to her!
Hugs from Sandy