Monday, January 06, 2014

Desktop Calendar tutorial using Crafty Secrets "Creating with Vintage Images CD" and their Free Printable Calendar

Starting off 2014 with the first Crafty Secrets 2014 DT Challenge and Linky Party!  Crafty Secrets has some awesome free printable Calendars.  You can find them here on the Heartwarming Vintage blog.  I'll be using one of the free printable calendars along with Papers and Images from the "Creating with Vintage Images".   Any basic flip album will work fine.. or you can make your own with chipboard and a "Bind it all" or even just binder rings.
I'll show you below in steps, how I used the papers and images from the CD, and the free calendar to create the pages really easily on the computer and then just printed them out.  The great thing about this is, once you have the pages made... you can print off and make multiples.  They would make great gifts.


When your able to manipulate things in Photoshop , it's easy make the calendar fit onto whatever size  page you are working with. Change the size of the page, the calendar ect..

I used different papers with images for each month. There are so many to choose from on the CD.  I decided to use some of the frames that are pngs on the CD, to overlay on the paper to make a matching spot on the back of the flipped page, to be able to use for notes, reminders for birthdays ect..



I have all the pages flipped up in these photos so you can see the back sides also.

There are lots of beautiful borders on the CD, like the one I used on the page below "if" you want to add to the page.


BUT... remember, I'm just a beginner with digital, so that's what I'm showing you.  I know how intimidated I felt when I first started trying to just figure out the basics, so that's what I'll try to show you.  My "simple stuff" :)     Sheila Rumney on our Design Team shares many great tutorial on her blog, that can help you a lot if you are trying learn more about digital.

For today, I'm going to share with you how I put together the pages for this calendar.

The first thing you want to do, is open the paper you choose from the CD in one window, and the calendar in another.    ( I have a lot of photos in this post, so I've tried to group some of the steps together in one photo)


*** IF your album is square, you could use the papers just as they are, but if it is rectangular, you might want to crop the papers accordingly so you get all of the pretty image on the paper.

Choose the month you want to add to the page you have chosen.  Find your Crop Tool in your tool bar.    With your Crop Tool, you will be able to select the area that you want to crop to use.  In this case.. the month "August".  Once you have selected the area you want to crop, go to "Image" on your tool bar, and the drop down with give you the option "Crop".  Click

  The paper is 300dpi so change the cropped calendar month to the same.  You can do this by going up to the tool bar to Image. You'll get a drop down.  Go to "Image Size", and then down to Resolution. Change it from 72 to 300.


Now  you just need to get that calendar moved over to your page right? Easy!  Go to your "move tool", and click on it. (see in the first photo below)
Now, click and hold, on your calendar as you drag it over to the page.
Once it's there, it's going to be a bit large, so if you look at the second photo below, you can see how you can Click Ctrl and T to get the dotted lines all the way around it with the arrows in the corners. This allows you to click on those arrows and hold as you pull in or out to size it to fit your page.  If you want to move the entire calendar once you have it the size you want it, just click in the middle and move it.

Being able to do that makes it easy to fit the calendar to the page you are working on.  All my calendar months are not the same size. I just made them the size I wanted as I went, depending on what image was on my page, making sure I didn't cover up too much of the image.
From there, all there is left to do is make sure you print you pages off to fit whatever size album you are using, start cutting and putting your album together.



I  used the png frames over parts of the papers I chose for each month so that they would match. And like I said, I thought it would be a good place for notes, but it would also be a awesome place to add a quote or saying.



I love this image!
There are gorgeous images and papers on this CD. Almost had me wishing I would have made a BIGGER calendar.   OH... I "saved" my work, so .. I still can!







I know it's a lot of photos. lol  But it seemed odd not to show each month.


Just like I was showing you how you can click and drag to add the calendar to the page, well that's just how you can add things like the buttons. (which are also on the CD).       The buttons and the floral border on the Month of April, were the only ones I added extras too. The others are as they are on the CD.


And then here we are back at Christmas again.  Hey, how did that happen? lol

And there you have it!



It's an exciting start to the new year for the Crafty Secrets DT.  My Dear and super talented friend and fellow DT member Kathy Clement as agreed to take over as Design Team Leader for me.  Kathy is going to be great at this!  Yay Kathy!     Me... well, I'm still hanging around, you know me, I'm like a bad penny :)  CS is in my blood, and I love Sandy (and her whole family) like my own.    I've just been DT Leader for a long time, and I'm ready to step back and chill a bit.  ( It's the whole.. "Life outside my studio" thing again) ha!

So..... with that said... on with the links to the goodies the girls on the DT have to share with you today....
We're also happy to have Julie Campbell a past DT member, guesting with us this month.  Yay Julie, so happy to have you!

     Kathy Clement  Team Leader
     Vicki Chrisman
  • Michele Kovack - See 295+ Gallery!
  • Darlene Pavlick
  • Rebekah Faries
  • Sheila Rumney
  • Elizabeth (I love rubber) on Splitcoast
  • Cherry Nelson
  • Julie Campbell  ( past DT guesting this month) 

  •       Heartwarming Vintage Blog


    Thanks so much for stopping by!  I hope your day is wonderful!

    Vicki

    13 comments:

    Darlene (SCS:akronstamperdpk) said...

    Oh Vic this is just AWESOME!!! I do this sort of thing in my WORD10 software but really need to get more comfortable with my PSE program ... thanks to you & Sheila, that is one of my New Year Resolutions!
    Personally, ALL THE PHOTOS are a HUGE help to me so I didn't mind the 'photo heavy post' at all! Thanks for taking the time to share it with us!!
    ENJOY a little more free time! You've left big shoes to fill but I have faith that Kathy will do JUST FINE!!! HUGS to you my friend from Brrrrr Cold & Windy Ohio!

    Michele said...

    So glad you posted this! I didn't know about Control T. I will have to try this method! Love your calendar!

    Kathy/NorthCarolina said...

    Vic, Thanks for the warm words of welcome. I know I will never be able to fill your shoes, so I won't even try...I'll just be ME! Thanks for all the love and encouragement you've given me over the years. xoxo
    Now, on to the calendar..it's brilliant! We really do think alike...I used a lot of the same images in my calendar! I'm just not as handy with digital as you are, so mine is more homespun. Stay warm!!! Hugs!

    lizlincoln said...

    How gorgeous is this! After I got over technical envy at your amazing computer skills and the artistry of your creation I got angry at myself for giving away my "bind it all" machine last year LOL.

    Happy New Year!

    Julie Campbell said...

    Gorgeous, Vicki! I haven't been out visiting for such a long time--nice to do it this morning!

    I love your calendar...and you're MUCH better at the digital thing than I am, my friend! Maybe that needs to be one of my goals for the New Year...I'm so old school!

    I'm glad you are taking a BIT of a break--it's a good thing! Wishing you a fabulous New Year!

    Crafty Secrets Heartwarming Vintage Co. said...

    My Dear Vicki - this is such a beautiful calendar - you rocked every page and showed off so many of our images that I didn't even think of using on a calendar and they look fantastic!

    Thanks so much - I can tell it was a labor of love

    Sandy

    Sheila Rumney said...

    What a great tutorial and beautiful flip calendar! Looks like you got bit by the digi bug!

    the primitive country bug said...

    This is just awesome! Would love to have one at my computer desk. Great job!

    Jean said...

    This is just so pretty! Love all the images!

    harrahx2 said...

    Beautiful. I printed out the calendars but haven't finished doing them up yet!

    Gail S. said...

    Wow! Great job! I love the photos and the instructions...now if I could get the nerve to try this (not a computer expert!!) Best wishes to you in 2014!

    Debbie K. said...

    Love your calendar, Ms. Vicki! You certainly deserve a break but I hope you post often as I LOVE hearing about what you are up to! Happy New Year to you and yours.....

    Sarah K said...

    can you please tell me more about this software.
    calendar to download to desktop for free