Monday, February 03, 2014

Crafty Secrets February DT Challenge and Linky Party - Altered Sweeheart Frame

February is here! Hard to believe isn't it?  It's the first Monday of the month so that means it's Crafty Secrets DT Challenge and Linky Party time.  If you aren't familiar with it, The first Monday of every month the fun begins.  The DT shares a project and a bit of a "how to" on each of their blogs, and then we also invite you to share a project. ( how to, not necessary for yours).  You can pop over to the Heartwarming Vintage blog and Link up to share your project... and to be able to see everyone else's projects that play along.   I will post the links to the individual DT member blogs below in this blogpost.
Below is the framed project I created.


The Beautiful Couple in the photo is Sandy Redburn's ( owner of Crafty Secrets) parents. If you read the Heartwarming Vintage Blog you may be aware that Sandys Dad recently pass away.  My heart has been with Sandy and her family.. and very much with her mom Rachel. I've been lucky enough to get to know Rachel through my many visits to Sandy's over the years. I started out with the idea of making a card for her and then it graduated into this layout/altered frame.    Below you can see the layout "outside" the frame.
I used the Crafty Secrets "Digital Vintage Valentine Kit"  for this project.  It's great that there are so many "love" themed papers and elements that will work things like this, other than just Valentines.  

This project is Hybird. Incorporating digital and traditional scrapbooking.     I started with one of the Beautiful papers in the kit and cropped it to the shape of my frame.

From there I could just open up different elements on the CD and drag them over onto the page, and start arranging and layering.

I'm still learning as you know :) I love that I can manipulate these images and photos so easily like this, but I do also love that I can still just print and cut out what I wan to add to my project also.

I printed off the tickets below to cut them out and add them, and then add a couple of vintage buttons.
About the frame.  I found this frame at a thrift store, and have been wanting to alter it. It started out all gold. I used a foam brush to apply white acrylic paint to it, and then while it was still wet, I lightly wiped way the top layers of paint.

 
And it's hard to tell here from this straight on photo, but I also printed this put twice, so that I could cut out the Birds and roses on the second printed sheet, and add them to the other sheet using foam squares for more dimension.
 
Finished it off with some pretties.


Now... here are the links to the Design Team girls blogs so you can see their amazing projects. I've seen sneak peeks, and I'm telling you.. you wont be disappointed!


  • Kathy Clement Team Leader
  • Michele Kovack
  • Darlene Pavlick
  • Sheila Rumney
  •  Elizabeth Lincoln
  • Cherry Nelson

  • And remember to pop over to the Heartwarming Vintage Blog. I hope you'll join us and play along. 

    Thanks for stopping by!

    Vic

    11 comments:

    Darlene (SCS:akronstamperdpk) said...

    Absolutely GORGEOUS project Vicki and one with so much love & meaning! I'm sure Sandy as well as her Mom were overwhelmed with your creativity and thoughtfulness!
    The frame is as beautiful as the photo design it holds! Great job and thanks so much for all the details ... has my brain in a whirlwind already! HUGS!

    Kathy/NorthCarolina said...

    Vic, this is so romantic and oh, so beautiful! Love that altered frame! It is right up to the minute in style, now! The layout is gorgeous and I love that you went hybrid on it. Such a thoughtful gesture, and one that will be treasured for sure!

    Cherry's Jubilee said...

    It is beautiful Vicki and full of heart! I love this! Cherry

    Elizabeth said...

    This is certainly the time of year for romance and this says it with every detail. This will be cherished forever by Sandy and her Mom.

    Jean said...

    So elegant and pretty!

    Jill Norwood said...

    My heart and prayers go out to Sandy and her family! It is so very hard to lose the ones we love! I am so very sorry for their loss ! I am sure they will treasure your beautiful framed page! What a beautiful photo! Hugs - Jill

    Sheila Rumney said...

    Great tutorial! What a beautiful, romantic project!

    Sheila Rumney said...

    What a beautiful, romantic project. Great tutorial!

    the primitive country bug said...

    What a lovely project and a handsome couple as well. Beautifully done!

    Gail said...

    Super project - great to frame it up - just totally beautiful layout and the picture is fab too!

    Cynthia said...

    This is beautiful, Vicki. What a fabulous keepsake for Sandy!