Thursday, March 06, 2014

3-D Shadowbox Card for Ryan and Erin

This couple share March birthdays... so I decided I'd make them a little something to stick in the mail.   One of my thoughts when designing this die was that it could be a card AND an altered project all in one. Sometimes we spend a lot of time and put a lot of love into creating a card... this is a great way for the person who receives it to be able to display it.  Because once you open it, it stand all on it's own.  Not only that, but it has lot of space to create.  Use a photo, an image, stamp, write, add a poem or saying, or even build a little diorama.  ( you can even add a piece of transparency to the opening as fill it with candies ect..)


Here is what the die layout looks like.  AccuCut Die VC101CSJ  by Vicki Chrisman


I decided to use a photo of them in the center.  It's my nephew Ryan and his girl Erin.


I cut the tab and used it as an embellishment at the top of both the left an right sides, but it is also a closer for the card if you want it to be.  In this case I used a ribbon for that.

Although it's for their Birthdays, I didn't really do it in a "Birthday" theme.  I wanted to just keep it general :)   I'll put in a Birthday Wish on a separate note.


Can you tell by the colors I'm using lately, that I'm really ready for SPRING??
While I'm sharing , I thought I'd show you a simple .... kind of old school idea from this week.  I wanted to whip up a thank you container for some Hershey hugs and kisses for a friend.  Yep, you guess it, I went old school and grabbed a empty soup can. I love the idea of recycling, and I think it's just as cute as if it was made in something new, so why not?  Little hint - if your can opener leaves a sharp edge inside your can, washi tape over it works great!
The stamp is from Crafty Secrets.


What's my week been like?  Well....


I attended Kate's first Open House as a teacher!  Oh... she loves her job.  Fun to see her so excited about teaching, and loved getting to see her classroom too. We had a great time!


We celebrated our 33 anniversary.  Just got away for the day and night. Took a drive and out to dinner. Ending up staying over in Iowa.

Working on some BIG medallions for the wedding reception in May.  Just snapped a quick photo with my phone. I'll take lots photos when they are all done.  But I do have to say it's the Biggest one I've ever made!! lol   Using this Accordian Fold die from AccuCut certainly made things much easier!



And  here's what went on today. Lasagna making , and lots of it.  One for dinner, one for friends, and one for the freezer! Done! 


I don't mind that part of it, it's the cleaning up the kitchen after, that I dread. But it's all done now. Feels good!

I hope all of you have been having a great week!

Thanks for taking time to stop by, I love  it when you do :)

Vicki

5 comments:

Jean said...

What a beautiful card! Happy Anniversary! That lasagna looks so yummy!

Kathy/NorthCarolina said...

I love how fresh and fun your shadow box card is...doesn't feel at all "vintage." Great to see it used in a different way. You are so clever! I also love the altered soup can! Brilliant! The giant medallion is gorgeous....YOu've been a busy gal!

Sofie Couch said...

I LOVE this blog! How fun. And what a brilliant thing: splurge a little bit extra on die-cuts and paper, instead of spending the nearly $5/ stock card that I send out multiple times per month. This was inspiring. :)
Sofie.

harrahx2 said...

Love the photo frame as a card idea Vic! Can you just come and cook for me please? I will even do the clean up!

Marlene (cards4u) said...

Just stopping by to say Hi!! Enjoyed every bit of this from beginning to end! Trying to get back to the things I miss and enjoy. Take care!