Monday, March 03, 2014

Framed Spring door hanging / Crafty Secrets Linky Party

It's the first Monday in March, and that means it's Crafty Secrets Linky Party Time!  Crafty Secrets Heartwarming Vintage has so many new Spring/Easter pintables, I decided to use one of them for my project today.
I used one of the Printable Easter Kids Download Postcards for this project. ( there are four different postcards on each sheet). There are many different ways you can use these postcards.  For this project I  just printed the postcard I chose larger to use as the focal point. You can see my previous post below for other ideas on how to you them also.

 
I love repurposing things, and giving them new life.  In this case I'm using an old canvas, that had been damaged with these holes poked in it.  And old canvas or an old frame will work great!
 
 
 
Just remove the canvas from the wood frame, and discard.


I decided to do a crackle technique with Spring colors on my wood frame.
If you haven't done it before... it's super easy.  I painted my bottom coat ( the paint that will show thru in the cracks) first and let it dry completely.  I just use a foam bush for each of these steps, but really any brush works fine.   Your next coat will be the Crackle glaze.  Cover the green completely, then set aside to dry.

Once it's totally dry ( important that it's totally dry)... then brush on your final coat. In this case .. the pink.  When you applying this coat, try not to brush over and over an area. Try to do it in one or to swipes back and forth. It starts to dry and the crackle effect begins quite quickly so if you brush over it, you can ruin the effect.


Once the final coat is totally dry, you can distress your frame even more by using sandpaper along the edges.

Now that the painting is finished, I attached my transparent back.   You can use a transparent overlay for your backing, thin plastic, vellum,  paper ect... I used a piece of texture template from Carolees Creations for my background.

Then I hot glued some flowers to the bottom left corner.

 
I printed off the postcard I decided to use, and sized it larger.  Then matted it on some aqua cardstock. I added it to the project, as will as a scalloped border along the top, some vintage buttons and ribbon to hang it from.
 
 
I think we are all ready to welcome Spring.  Be sure to check out what the Design Team has to share with you today, as well as the Heartwarming Vintage Blog.


  • Kathy Clement Team Leader
  • Michele Kovack - 300+ Gallery!
  • Darlene Pavlick
  • Sheila Rumney
  • Elizabeth (I love rubber) on Splitcoast
  • Cherry Nelson

  • We hope you'll play along with us!

    Thanks for stopping by!

    Vicki

    10 comments:

    Debby said...

    That's just beautiful. Love the color of the frame.

    Jill Norwood said...

    Beautiful Vicki! Love the crackle finish!!!

    harrahx2 said...

    Excellent repurposing Vicki and an adorable card!

    Crafty Secrets Heartwarming Vintage Co. said...

    Hi Vicki, Your Easter Door hanging looks so pretty and perfect on your door. I really love the transparent backing you used and how you can see the brass leading in your actual door. You also have a perfect paint crackle. I should get you to do that same pink and green color combo on a 12 x 12 board so we can turn it into a piece of paper!

    Sandy

    Kathy/NorthCarolina said...

    I love this sooooooooo much! You have the best ideas. The crackle finish is wonderful. You make it look so easy!

    Susan said...

    Vicki, this is adorable. I love the pink and green crackle!

    Jean said...

    Love this idea and that sweet design!

    Sheila Rumney said...

    Love your door hanging! What a great idea to get a frame from a canvas...

    Deb~Paxton Valley Folk Art said...

    How ingenious, love your Spring door hanger!

    Linsey said...

    What a gorgeous work of art! This wonderful decoration will brighten up any home and fill it will Spring charm! Your crackle technique is superb! How inspiring you are! Thank you so much!!! :)