Friday, April 04, 2014

"Happy Day" Card using Catherine Scanlons new stamps

Hey Everyone!  Hope you are doing well.  It's been a busy week around here.  Today I'm sharing a card I made with a flower stamp from Catherine Scanlon.  She has inspired me to watercolor!  I used a brush and water color crayons on this.

 
 
Clear Set SC-2735   Flower Bits
                                                        Art Gone Wild



It's been quite a week around here.  The boys , Kate and I went to see the large Traveling 911 flag , as it was on display at Camp Cedar for two days.  It was a flag that had been flying near the site on Sept 11th.  It has now been repaired by parts of flags that have survived disasters in other states my volunteers.  It pretty amazing to see and to hear about it's history.

It was Jared's idea to go, and I'm so glad we did. As you can see, we found it very interesting.

If only the evening had kept going so well.  When we got back, before we even got out of the car, Jarads fire pager went off.  He is a volunteer fire fighter for Cedar Bluffs.  We stopped and were quiet so he could hear, and to our horror they announced the name and address of our cousins home. Jarad jumped out to grab his fire gear and to get in his truck.  He has a truck with lights and siren.  We headed that direction also.
Wes finally made me pull the car over and let him drive. (probably a pretty good idea because I was pretty freaked).    
When we got there the first thing I did was scan the yard for Paula and Ron.  Once I knew they were out of the house, that was one HUGE sense of relief.
But I can honestly say, seeing a fire on TV and feeling bad for the people who have lost there home is one thing.... Standing there watching it happen it completely another. Heartbreaking!    They live in a big home in the country that is over a hundred years old, Paula and Ron live their alone now as their 5 children are grown, but it's still "HOME" to all the children and grandchildren.  If you follow my blog you may know Paula, she is one of the girls in our Art group.  Paula is actually my cousin on my Dads side of the family and Ron is my cousin on my moms side of the family. 
 

It took hours to get the fire out. We arrived around 6pm and left a little before midnight, and they were just wrapping it up.
It seems the cause was electrical.


Rural fire Departments here are all volunteer.  The crazy thing about this volunteer Dept is .... not only was my son here as a fire fighter, but also Paula and Rons Son-in-law and two of their Grandsons.
The first guy at the front of the hose is Jarad ( our son)

So, if you think my stomach wasn't in knots enough..... this was the very first time I've ever seen Jarad actually working on a fire site.  Lets just say.... I'm very proud of him... and of all this guys for what they do... but my nerves were shot, don't want to see it again.
( jarad below)

  They do so well at staying positive... way better than I imagine I would in their situation, but it has to be so hard. It's overwhelming and hard to know where to start. I helped out the last two days. But realized I'm probably better at things like bringing food ect.  I took lunch for everyone Wednesday and Jan did yesterday.
 Paula is a lover of family and sentimental keepsakes, photos, genealogy and has many antiques... so I know it's been heartbreaking for her.   Although so much was destroyed, there were photos and keepsakes that were also able to be saved with just some water damage.   It's just that trying to work is hard, as it's been so cold and wet. Pray for warmth and sunshine.


Please keep Paula and Ron and their family in your prayers.
Thanks my friends!
 
Love , Vic

8 comments:

Jean said...

I am so sorry about your cousin's fire. I am glad everyone was safe. I can only imagine watching your son and the firefighters.

Julie Higgins said...

My thoughts and prayers go out to Paula and her family!! Julie

harrahx2 said...

I am so sorry Vic that your family is going through this heartbreak but thankful that everyone is okay and some of her treasures are saved. Life is the best treasure though and at least that is spared. You have a right to be proud of your son and your family. My nephew is a firefighter also in Mass....always proud of him. Sending love.

Linda S. said...

I am shocked to read about the fire at your cousin's home. It is easy to see that you have a lot "invested", and it is easy to see why it affected you the way it did. I am a fellow Nebraskan, so please let me know if there is anything I can do to help. Linda

Laura Strack said...

I don't often comment, Vicki, but I do read and enjoy your Blog and I felt compelled to say a few words today. Please know I will keep your family in my prayers. Aside from crafting and art, I am an Insurance agent and fires are just horrible. Not only does the fire and water cause so much destruction, but the smoke itself can ruin or at least damage everything else. Big hugs go out to all of you and I am sure that your love and support means the world to them.

Kathy/NorthCarolina said...

Vic, I am so sorry about your cousin's home...what a loss. I am thankful that they are OK...and that Jarad is OK, too. (I don't think I could have stayed to watch that....scary!)

The card is gorgeous. I'm so glad to see you branching out into watercolor. I've not used watercolor crayons, but I was given a set of watercolor pencils that I just love, and use the same way. It's very relaxing to color in an image like this. Your color combo is stunning, as is the card design. Love it!

Crafty Secrets Heartwarming Vintage Co. said...

Great watercolor card Vic and I do mean it about sending Paula a package with any CS items she may want. It's amazing to think all those family member guys are actually on the fire team and were fighting to save the house. I'm so sorry it happened but thank God everyone was safe!

Sandy

Catherine Matthews-Scanlon said...

I'm torn between being happy about the beautiful card you created using my stamp and being super sad for Paula about her home. She's such a lovely person -- I'm so sad for her. When things start settling down I'd like to send her a piece of art for her new house...will you let me know when she's settled!

THANK you so much for creating this beautiful card -- I love it so much!