Monday, May 05, 2014

Crafty Secrets May Linky Party

We're jumping head first into May with our Crafty Secrets Linky Party.  I'm so happy Spring has finally arrived! I choose a garden theme for my project this month using the (now Printable) Birds and Blossoms Creative Scraps.   I have always LOVED all the images on the fronts and backs of these Creative Scraps, and now that they are printable you don't have to decided what you want to cut... because you can print them all! I decided to use the entire sheet as my backing for this garden themed clock.
I don't even remember where I got the actual wood piece but it was in a clearance bin after Christmas. It had a hook in it to hang a special ornament. I just removed the hook. It's been sitting in my "to alter" bin for some time, so I finally pulled it out for this project.  Many different frames and alterables would work for a project like this.  You could easily put your own spin on it, so in this post I'll just share some tips I used on mine.


 
First of all, for projects like this I LOVE printing on watercolor paper or canvas sheets, because of the texture. It just looks great! I know your not able to see the texture from here, but trust me... it just adds so much.  I just used basic water color papers (like this) for this clock project.
 
 
After I sized it to fit  my opening and printed it, I traced around it and cut it out. I then mounted it on a piece of chipboard for stability ( the same size, covering the entire back opening).  Before I hot glued it to the back I cut the hole for the clock workings.
 
 
Now the fun part... adding all the garden goodies.


Here is the 4 page Digital Download Birds and Blossoms.


I have to tell you another thing I really like about being able to print myself. I decided I wanted to print of the Pansy seed pack to add to the bottom as part of my display, but it was a bit to big.  No problem. I just sized it as small as I needed it. I didn't have to print the entire sheet when all I needed was the seed pack, and...  Not only that but when I printed it off I decided I wanted it to have a bit more of an "aged" look, so printed it off on an off white/ivory paper.   You can see below .


The clock parts I used are from Walnut Hollow.  If your not familiar with all the products this company has to offer ... check them out, I think you'll be surprised! HERE



Another little tip. I like to use grapevine, but for projects like this, I need "small pieces".  I use this process for  large and for small grapevine. If your doing big pieces for home décor, you will just need a large tub of water for soaking them in.   For this I'll show you using one of these small little craft wreaths.  Just snip and gently unwind the piece that is wrapped around, holding it all together. 


 Soak it for a hour or so in some water so it's pliable. It will be easier to open up without it breaking.  If you are using a large grapevine wreath for decorating, I find soaking it over night and then stretching it out in the sun on my deck works great.


I hope I've shared a tip or two that might be helpful :)
Now.....
Here are the links to the Heartwarming Vintage Blog and the other Design Team Members Blogs so that you can be sure to see what they have created .   We'd love to have you Join in our Linky Party.  You can do that on the Heartwarming Vintage Blog.

       Heartwarming Vintage Blog

  • Kathy Clement Team Leader
  • Vicki Chrisman ( you are here)
  • Michele Kovack - 300+ Gallery!
  • Darlene Pavlick
  • Sheila Rumney
  • Elizabeth Lincoln
  • Cherry Nelson

  • Thanks so much for stopping by!

    Vicki

    12 comments:

    Darlene (SCS:akronstamperdpk) said...

    FANTASTIC! I just LOVE this project Vic and all your wonderful tips ... AWESOME! Your creations are ALWAYS inspirational to me! Never thought to unwind one of those little wreaths ... someone gave me a few and they've just been laying around ... didn't know what to do with them! "NOW I DO!" LOL! Great job!

    Kathy/NorthCarolina said...

    Vic, I am in love with this gorgeous clock! Like you, I am a huge fan of Birds & Blossoms...and you put it to such good use. I love that little tipped over flower pot/nest. So sweet! You amaze me!

    Elizabeth said...

    This just fills the imagination. I am going to create a fairy garden so I was totally in the mood to look at your wonderful project Vicki. Every little detail is perfect. Thanks so much for the tip on grape vine wreaths. I must ask what kind of printer you have. I have been afraid to put watercolour paper through the printer for fear it would be too heavy weight. Also what weight paper is it, is it cold press, and how textured is the surface.

    Bettyann said...

    Absolutely beautiful clock..Vick you are so talented...love seeing what you will create next..have a grat week.

    Crafty Secrets Heartwarming Vintage Co. said...

    Vicki your clock is so pretty I can totally imagine it for sale in a pricey store. Also liked your tips on using grape vine wreaths.

    Sandy

    Jean said...

    THis is just gorgeous!

    Diane said...

    What a beautiful project...love this...very creative and gorgeous!!

    Laura Strack said...

    This is just the cutest clock! What a great find and you did it justice! If it is this cute in the photos, I can only imagine how darling it must be in person. Thanks for sharing.

    the primitive country bug said...

    This is just darling! I'm completely smitten!!

    Cynthia said...

    This is a beautiful project, Vicki! Love the papers and elements.

    harrahx2 said...

    Oh Vicki, as always you tickle my mind with the possibilities that you see in everyday objects. Love this creation!

    Sheila Rumney said...

    What a beautiful project! Love all the details!