Saturday, December 12, 2015

Vintage style altered Christmas house

 If you want some fun inspiration, I hope you'll stop by the Fancy Pants Designs Blog for "The Twelve Days of Christmas"  Gift Giving Event.   There are some super fun ideas!



Friday was my day and I have a new altered project up on the Fancy Pants Designs blog, using the "Wish Season" collection.  It's a little cardboard house I found the other day at the Dollar General for $3.50.  It was already glittered and ready to alter. Just screaming ..... buy me. lol So ... I did.  This collection is my very favorite Christmas Collection ever!


The house has a switch on the bottom that turns on a light for the inside.  I don't know if you can see it very well in the photo above but there is a little tree in just inside the window on the left side.  I wanted a tree inside so I cut an opening in the back of the house, so I had access to get things inside.  I made it so I could just close it back up and you wouldn't notice.
This collection has great coordinating puffy stickers, like the Merry Christmas words, the dots I used for lights and the stars on the trees.

The little mini trees are also from Fancy Pants.    It looks pretty darn cute all lit up :)

*************************************************************

Yesterday was the day my sis and I do our traditional cookie day where we get together and make mom's Sour Cream frosted cookies for Christmas.  We make the cookies and freeze them, waiting to frost them until just before we are ready to use them at Christmas. ( the frosting mom used is made with egg whites and powdered sugar. It gets tacky when frozen, so its better to do the frosting closer to when you are ready to serve them).  We just frosted some to pack up and sent to Neely in CA since they wont be able to be back from Christmas and a few for eating now :)
The recipe originated from our Aunt Edith years ago, but mom has been making them for as long as we can remember. They are just a part of Christmas for our family.  I'm sure mom made hundreds of these over the years.  As she aged and arthritis took it's tole on her hands, stirring these big heavy batching was hard but she still did it. She baked them and gave them to each of our families at Christmas as well as bring plates of them on Christmas Eve. When her hands really bothered her  but she didn't want to give it up I'd stop over and do the mixing part for her.  But she did all the rest.  Then when she was here we did it together.  Her , Jan and I. One time with Kate and Neely also.  Special memories for all of us.
We plan to always get together each Christmas... make moms cookies, reminisce about her , how amazing she was , and create even more memories making these cookies. Loving spending time together and honoring mom.

Here is a photo of  the last time we got to bake these with mom, here at our house.

We actually printed this photo off and taped it up to the cupboard right there , yesterday while we were baking :)
It's only fitting that if I share moms recipe, I share "IT".  Her actual recipe, in her handwriting, with all the little scribbles, and stains from the years. lol  

We use a 1/2 cup Crisco shortening and 1/2 cup butter
As for the vanilla and the lemon extract... we use 1/2 each
When adding the flour, just got to around 7 cups and then add until it's a good rolling consistency.
We chilled the dough for a bit for easier rolling.
Amount of time in the oven will depend on how thick you like your cookies and how heavy your cookie sheet is.   I like em thicker :)
 The batch is large.. making about 5 dozen.
WE MADE 4 Batches yesterday!!! 

We were lucky and had some little taste testers stop by yesterday.

I think they approved :)


We had  saved frosting so they could frost and decorate their own. That's all the fun you know :)


Emmett was pretty much just about the frosting.  As you can see.


My sister is the most patient person ever ... especially with kids.  Thirty plus years of having a day care ... she comes by it naturally.
It was just such a nice day.


 And while I'm on the subject of Cookies .... In my last post Cheryl asked about these cookies.

Scrappin Cheryl has left a new comment on your post "Banners, Decorating, Photos, Baking, Shopping........":

That banner is darling! And just curious - what are the cookies in the middle, do I see cherries?


Yes Cheryl! There are Cherry Chip Cookies. I make them every year as they are our son Jarad's favorite. I've posted these on my blog and on FB before and found that Cherry Chips aren't something that are found in all parts of the country, which I find interesting.



Here is the recipe

Cherry Chip Cookies

I usually make these with margarine, but this time I used butter... and OH MY!   yummy!
 Easy and quick, because they don't spread out much when baking ,so you can get a lot on one pan.

Oven 375  for 12 minutes or until just starting to lightly brown      

2 1/4 cup flour
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 cup butter (softened)
1/2 c sugar
1 egg yolk
1 teaspoon almond extract
3/4 Cup cornflakes
1 package Cherry Chips

Sift together flour and salt. Cream butter and sugar. Mix in egg yolk and almond, to butter mixture. Add flour, salt and mix flakes and cherry chips..  Roll into 1 inch balls and press dough with fork. Sprinkle with sugar.

Enjoy!

 Okay, time to get something done today. I promised the dogs a walk.  Off we go.

Thanks for stopping by!

Vicki 

3 comments:

Jane Wetzel said...

ok..now i HAVE to go on the hunt for the cherry chips! Love this post as I do all of your posts..I am sure your mom is watching from Heaven..

Linda Knox said...

Thanks so much for sharing your mom's recipes. I am going to make them. I remember seeing cherry chips in the store but don't think I've seen them in a long time. I wonder if they can be purchased online somewhere.

Vicki Chrisman said...

Linda Knox I looked earlier and you can order them thru Amazon.. .but wow... crazy prices! If you need some let me know ... I'm pretty sure I can hook you up:)